BioAssist has set up a number of Task Forces to solve shared problems in the field of bioinformatics. Academic groups that are working on similar bioinformatics problems collaborate in a task force to make sure that they cover their entire interest field without duplication. They also standardize the way their tools interact.
Currently, task forces exist for:
- Genomics, focussing on tools for next generation sequencing
- Proteomics, building tools for proteomics together with the Netherlands Proteomics Centre
- Metabolomics and nutrigenomics, standardizing information about studies and building query tools
- Biobanking, working on specific projects in collaboration with BBMRI-NL
- Interoperability, making diverse data work together with a focus on the IMI OpenPhacts project
The task forces do not form a fixed set of working projects for BioAssist: new task forces can be formed if the need arises and existing task forces can be closed if they have fulfilled their purpose. We are looking for possibilities to start new task forces for metagenomics and for imaging; this means that we are looking for possible participants and funding for such initiatives.